Request for comments

Kevin D. Kinsey, DaleCo, S.P. kdk at daleco.biz
Sun Oct 12 21:01:22 PDT 2003

Jem Matzan wrote:

>	I'm writing a review of FreeBSD 5.1-RELEASE and part of the review
>entails outlining the significant differences between FreeBSD and
>GNU/Linux (in a general sense).
>
>These are the points that I plan on writing about:
>
>Development philosophy
>Development process
>Delivery and installation of ported programs and packages
>Cohesiveness of the kernel and the userland
>The licensing
>
>	Most of these I can handle on my own, but I'd like to add some official
>comments from FreeBSD committers and contributors regarding development
>philosophy and process. Also if you feel that I've left out something
>important from the above list, please turn me on to it.
>	Thanks for taking the time to respond to my request.

It's quite possible that you'll get answers from one
of these types of people via your first post; however,
it might be more likely to happen if you'd post the
message to the advocacy@ list, possibly the chat@
list, or perhaps even the hackers@ list.

However, I'd check the charter for hackers@
before sending it there.  (I don't read that one)
I'm sure you can find mailing list charters on the
freebsd.org web site (IIRC, there's one in the
handbook, among other places.)

Now, all that said, realize that I'm just a
"fan" or "general population user" of
FreeBSD, and have no official relationship
with the project other than occasional
'evangelism'.

Good luck,

Kevin Kinsey