first time with growfs

Pietralla, Siegfried P siegfried.pietralla at eds.com
Sun Oct 12 17:21:05 PDT 2003

hi scott,

i believe you can only use growfs with contiguous disk space.

but, with unix you don't need to increase the size of the freebsd partition
( actually called slice in this context ). you do not need to use growfs to
use more space. you have at least three other options that will let you use
any other space on your disk that will be transparent from an application /
end-user perspective :

1.

just partition the new slice any way you like and mount the space wherever
you need it. remember that you can mount partitions anywhere in your
directory tree. e.g. if /usr/src is taking up most of the space in /usr,
just copy /usr/src to a new partition that you've temporarily mounted as
/mnt, then rm -rf /usr/src, umount /mnt and mount the partition it under
/usr/src.

2.

just create a big /usr2, move directories and then use symlinks all over the
place :)

3.

use vinum for the entire new slice. move stuff to vinum supported
partitions. reformat your old slice to use vinum where possible. then extend
vinum volumes and use growfs to your heart's content. if this sounds too
much like hard work, see options 1 and 2.

regards,
siegfried.