clearing Vinum configurations

aarong aarong at megapathdsl.net
Sat Oct 11 11:23:27 PDT 2003

I've been toying with Vinum extensively these past few weeks, on 4.8,
and I've yet to come across a way to effectively and *completely* clear
a Vinum configuration. After creating a configuration, Vinum stores the
configuration on the drive or drives and resetconfig does not clear
that written config. Case in point, after reinstalling FreeBSD on a
primary drive, Vinum started up and read the previous installs
configuration from the second drive which had not been formatted. On
another install, I tried zeroing out the 265 Vinum sectors found 16
sectors in on the primary drive, but was greeting with a "missing
operating system" on reboot.

Two questions:

1) why doesn't resetnconfig clear all the configurations, including the
ones written to Vinum drives?
2) why doesn't dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/da0 seek=16 count=265 work?
What's in those 265 sectors that I can't touch?

Regards,
-aarong