writing pdfs

Tillman Hodgson tillman at seekingfire.com
Fri Oct 10 07:30:03 PDT 2003

On Fri, Oct 10, 2003 at 04:18:38PM +0200, Alexander Haderer wrote:
> >I agree with the recommendation to learn LaTeX. It's probably the best
> >way to generate PDF output and it's widely used for document generation.
> >
> >I disagree that one needs to use pdflatex, though. Those side-effects
> >you mention are trivial to get rid of:
>
> >  1. \usepackage{times}      (or palatino or bookman or whatever font
> >                              package you like)
>
> Does this work without _any_ problems when you want to use the
> (tex-default) computer modern fonts?

The font packages actually cause PostScript fonts to be used.

I've run into no problems with it over several years, many article
length te4chnical documents, and one book length non-technical
document.

> My experiences over the last years with different platforms and latex
> installations are, that you alway have to "google"-around to get this
> working. I use LaTeX/pdf output only from time to time so I am not the
> big expert, but using pdflatex a while ago was the first time I got
> the CMR fonts into a pdf without any display/print problems. I just
> made some slight modifications to my latex file necessary for pdflatex
> (mentioned in the pdflatex doc) and whoops, there it was.

Right, but in return you gave up nice generation of exactly equivalent
PS files. I have a PS printer - I put PDF on the web and cat PS to the
printer :-)

-T

--
Money is truthful. If a man speaks of his honor, make him pay cash.
	- Robert Heinlein