Latest "stable" fixes are unstable

Mike Tancsa mike at sentex.net
Thu Oct 9 13:06:23 PDT 2003

Hi,
         First off, there is no 5.0 STABLE. If you cvsup'd to 5.x this is
the source of your problems as that is the development branch.

To better understand what problems you are having, you need to give
information like a crash dump.

Compile a debug kernel for the machine that is crashing
See
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/developers-handbook/kerneldebug.html

enable the saving of your core dump on your swap partition. e.g. if you
have it on a 3ware card add
dumpdev="/dev/twed0b"         # Device name to crashdump to (or NO).
dumpdir="/var/crash"    # Directory where crash dumps are to be stored
to /etc/rc.conf
and reboot or type /sbin/dumpon /dev/twed0b

or if you have an ide drive and the swap is on ad0s1b, then
/sbin/dumpon /dev/ad0s1b

when your machine crashes / panics,

type
gdb -k kernel.debug /var/crash/vmcore.0

and type bt

send the results to the stable list, which if you track stable you should
be following.

         ---Mike