Crash under disk writes (vinum?)

Lewis Thompson purple at lewiz.net
Thu Oct 9 05:28:57 PDT 2003

Hi,

I'm running 5.1-RELEASE (latest patch version) on a machine with a
couple of disks set up in a concatenated vinum-type config.

  Periodically if I do some ``heavy'' writes to the concatenated disk it
causes the system to panic and reboot.  I'm not sure it's because of
vinum, but my guess is that it is -- on the same two disks is a mirrored
volume which has no write problems.

  My questions are first) has anybody else heard of this?  Any solutions
or ideas? and secondly) how can I effectively go about debugging this?
This is a headless machine and it reboots often before I realise, so I
can't see the diagnostic messages.  With some debugging symbols in the
kernel can I provide useful stuff for somebody to look at?

  Will my vinum config be useful for helping resolve this issue?

  Thanks very much,

-lewiz.

--
I was so much older then, I'm younger than that now.  --Bob Dylan, 1964.
-| msn:purple at lewiz.net | jab:lewiz at jabber.org | url:http://lewiz.net |-