Samba Change Password from Windows using ctrl-alt-delete

Uwe Laverenz laverenz at despammed.com
Wed Oct 8 14:12:31 PDT 2003

Clay wrote:

> There doesn't seem to be anyone out there with a solution.  I guess the
> moral of the story is don't run Samba 2.x on FreeBSD if you want your

Sorry, I've just entered this mailing list and haven't read the other
mails in this thread, but it should not be a problem at all to get this
password sync to work. We use LDAP, so our config wouldn't help you, but
a quick google-search leads to this example:

   FreeBSD 4 passwd chat for smb.conf:

   passwd chat = *New*password* %n\n *Retype*new**password* %n\n
*password*has*been*changed*

This has to be a single line of course. Put it into the [global] section
  of your smb.conf, together with a "unix password sync = yes". Please
read the smb.conf man page, it's all there.

And please, don't let me see statements like "don't run Samba 2.x on
FreeBSD" again, because I've been doing this for many years. Thank you... ;)

cu,
Uwe