cvsup and portupgrade

Chris racerx at makeworld.com
Wed Oct 8 13:17:09 PDT 2003

On Wednesday 08 October 2003 01:33 pm, David Bear wrote:
> I'm still trying to muddle through the loads of different ways to keep
> FreeBSD 'current' -- meaning, safely patched, aka RELENG_5_1 (for me)
>
> As I conceptualize the operations there are two levels of 'patching',
> 1) the kernel and base system
> 2) then all the ports that I may have installed
>
> I've read the cvsup docs and can see how to update both the kernel
> source and ports.  But the problem I see is the ports.  After the
> ports collection has cvsupdated, I would still need to do a make
> install for each port I have previous installed, correct?  (or, more
> appropriately, make deinstall, the cvsup the ports, then make install)
> Is this making things more difficult?  Seems there really should be a
> cleaner way to keep things updated.
>
> I've heard reference to a portupgrade package, but can't find any
> details on how and what it really does-- and how well it plays with
> cvsupdate.
>
> The other rotten thing here is that cvsupdate requires modula-3 -- and
> portupgrade requires ruby...  It would really be nice if all this were
> done in the most perfect language, python;-)
>
> looking for some advice.. thx.

Allbeit I am doing 4.9, here is what I do for the ports part of it. I too have
had issues and found a perect solution (for me)

To upgrade ports only & rebuild database:
type /usr/local/bin/cvsup -g -L2 /root/ports-supfile
type /usr/local/sbin/portsdb -uU
run /usr/local/sbin/portupgrade -arR
The above line updates all ports and dependencies.

--

Best regards,
                 Chris

PGP Fingerprint = D976 2575 D0B4 E4B0 45CC AA09 0F93 FF80 C01B C363

PGP Mail encouraged / preferred - keys available on common key servers