Broken /usr/lib on FreeBSD 4.7

Oliver Wilson owilson at cam.org
Wed Oct 8 13:14:08 PDT 2003

Hello,

I inadvertently broke the /usr/lib on my FreeBSD 4.7 box. Here's how
this happened.

   * In an xterm as root, I issued the command "ldconfig -r" as root,
     and attempted to copy the ldconfig output using the mouse. I
     selected the first 20 lines of this output with the mouse, and was
     about to paste it into an editor, when I inadvertently pressed the
     middle button while the cursor was still in the xterm.
   * The system immediately froze. I rebooted the system in single user
     mode,  fsck'ed the filesystems, then mounted them. I then issued
     "ctrl d" to allow the boot sequence to continue, which it did.
   * The built-in ldconfig issued many errors, all of them stating that
     /usr/lib components had an invalid file formats. I rebooted the
     system back to single user, and issued an "ldconfig -r" which
     listed the ld-elf "so.hints" search directories, together with all
     the actual load libraries for elf .
   * I assumed that the first 20 library files were corrupted, and
     sought to replace these with files from a /usr/lib library that I
     found on the web.
   * Working in single user mode I now find that when I attempted any
     command that sends formatted output to the screen (e.g. ls -la), I
     get the following message:

     "/usr/libexec/ld-elf.so.1: /usr/lib/libncurses.so.5: Shared object
     has no run-time symbol table"

   * It seems to me that the approximately first 20  /usr/lib files have
     been corrupted.
   * However the system continues to boot the kernel OK.

How can I fix this?

Any tips or advice will be greatly appreciated

Oliver Wilson