Squid and newsyslog

Dan Nelson dnelson at allantgroup.com
Tue Oct 7 07:29:02 PDT 2003

In the last episode (Oct 07), Jason Stewart said:
> I'm having trouble rotating my squid access.log and cache.log with
> newsyslog.
>
> Here is my entry in newsyslog.conf:
>
> /usr/local/squid/logs/access.log nobody.nogroup 644 7 * 168 Z /usr/local/squid/logs/squid.pid

You need to send squid SIGUSR1 (signal 30) to tell it to reopen its
logfiles.  Here's my line:

/usr/local/squid/logs/access.log nobody:wheel 644 7 40000  *  ZB /var/run/squid.pid 30

The B flag tells newsyslog not to put a "logfile turned over" entry at
the top of the file, since squid logs aren't in syslog format.

--
	Dan Nelson
	dnelson at allantgroup.com