How to turn off the HDD? How to reduce the overall noise?

Eric Dillenseger eric at naxalite.ath.cx
Tue Oct 7 00:57:33 PDT 2003

On Tue, Oct 07, 2003 at 02:50:42AM -0400, C. Ulrich wrote:
> On Mon, 2003-10-06 at 14:49, Eric Dillenseger wrote:
> > BTW, turning it off is almost useless, as there's often a little
> > activity on most *real* OS so reducing noise is better (in fact it
> > reduces the spinning speed during heavy operations).
> > Just my 2cts.
>
> There's also the case where you might want to shut down a drive which is
> rarely used. Such as the case with a Slackware box of mine. One drive in
<morning joke>
Wonderful, and there's also the case where you want to sleep a drive for
hot plug, and there's the case...
But there's the case of the freak who wants to shut his single hard
drive when idle and can't wake it up. (don't laugh i've seen it before)
As he's using softupdates and has tuned his hard drive to get the best
perfomances,so that he *only* waits 25 secs when launching bloatzilla but
he screwed up his box and comes back posting
"How to turn on HDD after sleep time".
I don't think they're joking when they say "Use at your own risk".
Of course the cat of the girlfriend of the friend of one of my cousin
use it and says it works like a charm on screwdrake v12 using kernel
2.6.150-pre7-beta21 and the latest 240Gb sATA drive and an Athl33t XP
4200+/-...and so on...

Damn! What did you put in my cigarettes??!
</morning joke>

--
> Enfin vivement les procs optique qui ne chaufferont pas trop ;-)
Vivement les proc quantiques, en rajoutant un glaçon, on pourra même
les boire ...
[ Eric Dillenseger GPG(OxFF352913) eric(at)naxalite(dot)ath(dot)cx ]