lockup in FreeBSD 5.1

Kris Kennaway kris at obsecurity.org
Mon Oct 6 17:33:23 PDT 2003

On Mon, Oct 06, 2003 at 11:44:15PM +0200, Benjamin Lutz wrote:

> The interesting thing is - today I was "watching" the machine with
> top, while she used it normaly (me = maxlor, her = theres). Below
> you find what top displayed before the machine went offline (I
> assume she powercycled it). The interesting thing is that multiple
> processes seem to be locked in Giant... could this be a driver
> issue?

Sort of..recall from the 5.1 Early Adopter's Guide that the 5.x branch
is work in progress and a major focus of effort is SMP locking
pushdown.  As of 5.1 Giant still covered a lot of the kernel code
paths.

> On the hardware side, we have an old K6 machine, with some NIC that
> uses the vr driver; the other stuff I can't remember right now.

k6 CPUs run notoriously hot and become unreliable at high
temperatures..make sure you have more-than-adequate CPU cooling.

Kris