Booting without keyboard.

Ph. Schulz ph.schulz at gmx.de
Mon Oct 6 16:04:04 PDT 2003

> I've read (although never actually seen myself - so take this with as large
> a grain of salt as you like) that hotplugging PS/2 peripherals can damage
> the port you're plugging them into, so I'd be wary about doing this.

  This is what I've heard, too, but I've never seen a PS/2 port being
damaged from 'hot plugging' either. However, I've seen it quite a few
times that unplugging and replugging the mouse or the keyboard leaves
the device not working afterwards. I've seen this under FreeBSD as well
as under (I hate to admit it, but it's the PC at work) Windows NT4 and
2000. I've read a magazine article once which said that this is not the
OS's responsibility but the hardware (keyboard or mouse) itself crashing.
  So regardless if hot-plugging the keyboard works or not, if you plan
to do this several times a day, you might want to thing about getting a
KVM switch.

	Phil.