Problem booting 5.1 install CD

Ross, Chris cross at wcasd.k12.pa.us
Mon Oct 6 05:02:06 PDT 2003

	Over the weekend I was working on this and found an old 4.7
release CD lying around.  I figured that it couldn't hurt to give that a
try and see if it would boot.  Sure enough 4.7 was fine.  From there, I
did a cvsup for the current set of 4.8 source files.

	When the 4.8 kernel was built, I excluded agp and a bunch of
other bits from the GENERIC make file.  Can't say if the problem exists
in the 4.8 tree too.

	It was my hope that I could get my feet wet on 5.1 before going
into real deployment testing.  Any deployments would be on newer
hardware so this problem may not be that big of an issue in the long
run.  I'm not happy about the idea of upgrading from 4.8 to 5.1.  One of
the things that I wanted to look closely at was extended ACLs on UFS2.
Upgrading won't allow me to do that.  From the "Release Engineering
Information" section of the FreeBSD web site, it looks like  6-CURREWNT
will be forked when 5.2-RELEASE is out.  I would assume that this means
there will be little work done on the 4 branch after 4.9 is released.