Pointer please

Dan Nelson dnelson at allantgroup.com
Sun Oct 5 20:06:59 PDT 2003

In the last episode (Oct 06), Marcus Mller said:
> I'm currently facing a non-trivial problem with the current
> Objective-C runtime on FreeBSD 5.1-CURRENT. The problem popped up
> when trying to create a native port of OGo
> (http://www.opengroupware.org) to FreeBSD.  Specifically, certain
> returned memory should be nil (0), but in fact is 0xd0d0d0d0.

Could be one of two problems.  The program either malloced memory and
tried to use it without zeroing it, or it freed some memory and tried
to keep using it.  In -current, the malloc has the J debugging flag
set, which fills malloced and freed memory with 0xd0 (see the malloc
manpage).

See http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=bin/52907 for a patch
that will let you distinguish freed vs malloced memory, and pinpoint
the exact allocation that's causing you trouble.

--
	Dan Nelson
	dnelson at allantgroup.com