wav to mp3?

BSD baby bsdlap at hitmedia.com
Sun Oct 5 18:24:45 PDT 2003

> I did a make search in the ports collection and didn't see what (I think) I
> need, so I'll ask here.
> Is there a utility (or utilities) in ports for converting .wav files to mp3?

/usr/ports/audio/lame has really become the standard.

SO easy to use from the command-line, just do:

lame YourSong.wav
... and it will make the standard 128kbps MP3 file.

or:

lame --preset standard YourSong.wav
... and it will make a super-high-quality audiophile MP3.

If you want to do a batch, you can just use "find" to loop through them all like this:

cd /WAVFILES
find . -name "*.wav" -exec lame {} \;