Where to find pam_unix documentation?

cuddlesomebunny freebsduser at comcast.net
Sat Oct 4 08:04:02 PDT 2003

----- Original Message -----
From: "twig les" <twigles at yahoo.com>
To: <freebsd-questions at freebsd.org>
Sent: Friday, October 03, 2003 1:06 PM
Subject: Where to find pam_unix documentation?

http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/articles/pam/pam-freebsd-modules.html
> I gather that the module I need is pam_unix, but when I look for
> the man page...nothing.  I've spent about an hour on google now
> also and found plenty of developers and admins talking about
> using it, but nothing resembling a man page or even a how-to.
>
> Specifically I need to enforce the use of a mix of alphanumeric
> and special chars, a minimum length, passwd expiration (with
> forewarning preferably), passwd history, and account lockouts.
> Note: I will gladly RTFM.  Muchas thnx.
According to man -w pam_unix it is located in
/usr/share/man/man8/pam_unix.8.gz.
I am using freeBSD 5.1.x

Didja check freeBSD's site?
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/articles/pam/pam-freebsd-modules.html

Or go here (Once you get there be sure to change the OS version to match
yours)
http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/man.cgi?query=pam_unix&apropos=0&sektion=8&manpath=FreeBSD+4.8-RELEASE&format=html

For a (I found one on google) How to (or so the article claims)
http://www.wlug.org.nz/HowToUserAuthenticationHOWTO

Here's a How To for Apache and mod_auth_pam

http://www.linuxvalley.it/encyclopedia/ldp/howto/HOWTO/User-Authentication-HOWTO/x302.html

Here's some simple stuff from Red Hat

http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/linux/RHL-7.3-Manual/ref-guide/s1-pam-samples.html

Dunno what you were searching on but hope this helps.