Interested but am i compatible?

Khairil Yusof kaeru at pd.jaring.my
Sat Oct 4 07:44:17 PDT 2003

On Sat, 2003-10-04 at 19:41, William Labbett wrote:

> are there HP Printer drivers available and

Yes. Supported by HP also through hpijs. For more information on how
well yours is supported see: http://www.linuxprinting.org

> also Artec scanner drivers?

Maybe.. through Sane. Check your model.
http://www.sane-project.org/sane-mfgs.html#ARTEC-ULTIMA

>  is there a freeware C/C++ compiler available
> and (less importantly) a freeware
> text editor or C/C++ project IDE ??

Text Editors: Yes
LOTS! There are religious wars over them too. :)
Two good ones are vim (http://www.vim.org) and emacs.

GUI/IDEs: Yes
Two good ones Anjuta (http://anjuta.sourceforge.net) or
KDevelop (http://www.kdevelop.org)

Compiler: Yes, not just C and C++
gcc (http://www.gnu.org/software/gcc/gcc.html)

>  will it work on on a BrillianX motherboard?

Not sure on this one. If it's a normal PC motherboard with standard
chipsets (via, intel), I don't see why not.

> what kind of modem will i need.
WinModems might be supported, but hardware modems (usually external
ones) are guaranteed to work.

A good place to start is the freebsd handbook, when you are learning
freebsd:

http://www.freebsd.org/handbook (also available in /usr/share/doc after
installation)

And I found Dru Lavigne's tutorials most helpful.
http://www.onlamp.com/pub/ct/15

--
"Optimized, readable, on time; Pick any two."

FreeBSD 5.1-CURRENT i386
10:29PM up 3 days, 15:10, 1 user, load averages: 0.38, 0.33, 0.26