FreeBSD & SPAM

Fernando Gleiser fgleiser at cactus.fi.uba.ar
Fri Oct 3 07:44:59 PDT 2003

On Fri, 3 Oct 2003, Joseph Koenig wrote:

> I know this is an issue that comes up a lot, but I wanted to get an opinion
> from some people on the list. We, along with everyone else, have TONS of
> SPAM hit our server. Unfortunately, we haven't found any good way to reduce
> it. We're using ORDB and SpamCop, but neither are really doing the job.
> We're a small small company (7 employees) with about 100 mailboxes on the
> server. We don't mind paying for a service that works, but we are certainly
> on a tight budget. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.
> Currently, we're using Sendmail, although we're considering (and testing) a
> switch to PostFix. TIA for any advice,

Try SpamAssassin (mail/p5-Mail-SpamAssassin). I use it in many of
the servers I administer and it works great. it has Bayesian
filters, so it can "learn" to tell spam from ham.

I don't use any ORBL directly, since for me they're more trouble
than they're worth, but I use them to "bump" the spamassassin score.

SpamAssassin also integrates very nicely with MIMEDefang to stop
malware sent via email.

Hope this helps

		Fer