XFree86 changes resolution per keypress

David Raistrick drais at wow.atlasta.net
Thu Oct 2 14:59:26 PDT 2003

On Thu May 1 10:36:09 PDT 2003, in
http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-questions/2003-May/004563.html
William Palfreman wrote:

> I've just upgraded from XFree86 4.2.0 to 4.3.0 using portupgrade.  It
> was working fine as 4.2.0, but now it cycles though the different
> resolutions every time I press a key - any key.  How on earth did this
> happen?  It is the same with the old configuration file or with a new
> one made by XFree86 -configure.

Folks,

I just encountered this same thing this morning.  I found no posted answer
to Williams problem, so I'm posting this:

Check to see if:

/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/XKeysymDB

Exists.  In my case, it did not.  I manually copied it from the ports
source tree:

cp /usr/ports/x11/XFree86-4-documents/work/xc/lib/X11/XKeysymDB \
 /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/

And the next time I started X, the keyboard behaved!

I found the idea here:
http://www.mail-archive.com/cygwin-xfree@cygwin.com/msg06702.html

Note that I used portupgrade to upgrade to 4.3.0.  I don't know why this
file didn't get installed.

I'm not subscribed to questions@, so please cc: me on any replies.

...david

---