FreeBSD vs. RedHat

Erik Steffl steffl at bigfoot.com
Thu Oct 2 10:56:28 PDT 2003

Todd Stephens wrote:
> On Thursday 02 October 2003 03:13 am, Erik Steffl wrote:
>

>>    I just don't think that your fairly general statement about linux
>> distros pushing kitchen sink on you while freeBSD being more
>>traditional unix is true...
>

> I have tried RH, Mandrake, SuSE and Slackware Linux distros.  Sure, you
> can uninstall things later, but the only one that really gave me a
> choice of specific packages to install from the get-go was Slackware.

   Mandrake: I installed it few times about 6 months to 1 year ago and I
remember playing with package selector for quite some time. DURING
installation. It also let me choose which services to run (to start at
boot).

   Debian: runs dselect during install so you can choose whatever you
want (individual packages)

   I am not 100% sure about RH and know nothing about suse...

	erik