FreeBSD vs. RedHat

Jerry McAllister jerrymc at clunix.cl.msu.edu
Thu Oct 2 07:59:55 PDT 2003

> Why do the ISOs seem to be three CDs of 600Mb each for RedHat compared
> to 1.5 CDs for FreeBSD?  I thought the files were larger with FreeBSD
> and its tarballs.
>
> Does FreeBSD offer all the packages from A to Z in their CDs?

Well, sort of.   FreeBSD itself does not offer any CDs.  It has
some ISO-s.   Recently FreeBSD decided to quit putting out ISOs
with all the source for all the ports.   So, the two ISO-s called
disk1.iso and disk2.iso contain the installation system, the full
operating system and some of the more popular ports.  They used to
put out two more ISO-s that contained the rest of the ports in a
four ISO set, but FreeBSD no longer does that.  You can easily
obtain any and all of it through FreeBSD because the ISO-s have
the complete ports tree skeleton from which you can install any of
the ports directly over the net -  and that is how you really want
to install ports anyway.

BUT, some other companies package the larger sets on CDs - usually 4 CDs.
Try FreeBSD Mall, for example.  There are a couple of others as well.
Those sets have the whole schmear.

The other combination is to download the mini-iso which has essentially
just the installation system and the OS and everything else in then
brought down over the net during installation.

> Does FreeBSD come with an installation package?

Yes.  You boot the install CD and voila.

> Is FreeBSD Linux or UNIX?

FreeBSD is BSD which has its origins in the Berkeley U written version
of Bell Labs UNIX way way back in deep and dark history long before
Linux was ever conceived, let alone birthed.

////jerry