FreeBSD vs. RedHat

Lucas Holt luke at foolishgames.com
Thu Oct 2 05:42:56 PDT 2003

> Let me give acknowledgment to Greg Lehey ahead of time for this as this
> bit that follows comes from _The Complete FreeBSD_.
>
> ".. by the mid-80s, there were four different versions of UNIX: the
> Research Version ... the Berkeley Software Distribution ... System V
> ... and XENIX, "
>
> Sorry for omitting parts, but the overall idea of the passage remains
> intact.
>
> I believe, and someone correct me here, that BSD was a modification of
> the /original/ UNIX code which existed prior to Sys V in 1983,
> indicating that BSD and Sys V are different branches from the same
> trunk.  The history is rather confusing though, so I expect to be wrong
> on this.
>
> --
> Todd Stephens

You are right through the 80s.  In the 90s, the System V code had to be
pulled from most of the kernel.  The NetBSD and FreeBSD projects
started with the BSD 386 code, and had to redo their distro as a result
of a lawsuit to the BSD 4.4 lite code.  That code had several files
removed as part of the lawsuit settlement.  I'd guess that only SCO
products, Solaris, AIX, and (if you believe SCO) Linux 2.4 has System V
code in them now.  Of course I mean solaris 2.x+, since 1.x was based
on BSD code.

Lucas Holt
Luke at FoolishGames.com
FoolishGames.com  (Jewel Fan Site)
JustJournal.com (Free blogging)

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and
I'm not sure about the former."
- Albert Einstein (1879-1955)