FreeBSD vs. RedHat

Erik Steffl steffl at bigfoot.com
Wed Oct 1 20:33:05 PDT 2003

Todd Stephens wrote:
> On Wednesday 01 October 2003 10:42 pm, SoloCDM wrote:
>
>> Why do the ISOs seem to be three CDs of 600Mb each for RedHat
>>compared to 1.5 CDs for FreeBSD?  I thought the files were larger
>>with FreeBSD and its tarballs.
>

> Not sure what you mean by that "its tarballs".  Linux distributions come
> with an immense amount of software that generally gets installed with
> the OS.  FreeBSD comes with quite a bit as well (enough to get your
> system up and running for just about any purpose you desire), but one
> of the intents of FreeBSD is to give the user a little more choice in
> what is installed.  Read about the ports collection at www.freebsd.org.

   this smells like marketing speak...

   both freeBSD and linux distros (most of them at least) give you
choice what you install. Just because it's on CD does not mean it's
installed. Redhat simply chooses to provide more software right on CDs
(my guess is that the reason is to be able to install everything-red-hat
from CDs instead of having to download the extra software - for some
user it is important).

	erik