IM server

Herbert Wolverson herbert at charizard.tsghelp.com
Wed Oct 1 15:59:48 PDT 2003

On Wed, Oct 01, 2003 at 05:17:30PM -0500, Kenzo wrote:
> I was wondering what ports there are for an IM server.  I looked and only
> found jabber.
> I was wondering if anyone installed it and what other IM server can I use in
> FreeBSD.
> I want to install a simple IM server only for LAN use.

We run Jabber here, and it works beautifully. With the MSNIM, and AOL/ICQ
gateways it is possible to talk to just about anyone; I'm not sure if the
Yahoo! gateway works now that Yahoo! have closed the Yahoo messenger service.

Installation is pretty straightforward, but you will have to edit the jabber
XML config file a bit. Jabber.org has good instructions (I recommend using
the port to get you started), as well as a set of clients for just about
every system out there.

-- Herbert.