apache has fallen [and it won't get up]

Melvyn Sopacua freebsd-questions at webteckies.org
Sun Nov 30 19:04:45 PST 2003

On Monday 01 December 2003 03:14, Marty Landman wrote:

> >Is that by any chance the 'ServerName' of the main server? That is what
> >mod_unique_id is trying to resolve. If no ServerName is set, it takes the
> >hostname of the computer.
>
> I've specified in httpd.conf
>
> ServerName 192.168.0.7:80

Drop the :80 there. In fact - since you're overriding it below, it's not even
used.

> In a VirtualHost directive
>
> <VirtualHost *>
>          ServerName SwamiSalami.face2interface.domain

If this is litterally what you have, then it's no surprise as '.domain' is not
a valid 'country' (TLD or Top Level Domain in DNS terms).

My guess is, you should have:
ServerName swamisalami.face2interface.com

(Educated guess really: swamisalami.face2interface.com has address
216.157.5.252)

I seem to be getting too used to people obscuring their actual host names with
fabrications for privacy reasons (<rant>could we just all stick to
example.com for that?</rant>).

--
Melvyn

FreeBSD sarevok.webteckies.org 5.2-BETA FreeBSD 5.2-BETA #1: Sat Nov 29
00:15:33 CET 2003     root at sarevok.webteckies.org:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/
SAREVOK_NOFW_DBG  i386