apache has fallen [and it won't get up]

Melvyn Sopacua freebsd-questions at webteckies.org
Sun Nov 30 12:20:45 PST 2003

On Sunday 30 November 2003 20:56, Marty Landman wrote:

> At 02:01 PM 11/30/2003, Melvyn Sopacua wrote:
> >Disable mod_unique_id in httpd.conf to get it back up-and-running.
>
> Ok, this worked.. thank you Melvyn.

You're welcome (been there :).

> >The real error is probably in /etc/resolv.conf not pointing to a valid
> >nameserver.
>
> Interesting. /etc/resolv.conf has last been changed like 10 minutes ago
> [not knowingly by me though]. All it says is
>
> search mshome.net
> nameserver 192.168.0.1

Looks like a DHCP layout. Are you running dhclient (ie: have
ifconfig_IFACE="DHCP" in /etc/rc.conf)?

> Since my workstation is delliver.mshome.net and also shares its internet
> connection on my lan via ics from and its ip addr on the lan is as shown,
> what's up do you think?

I think typing:
host delliver.mshome.net

*on that machine* doesn't give a valid ip address or an adress that is not on
the workstation.
Since you're refering to 'ics' I guess you're gateway is an MS box and doesn't
run DNS or a DNS forwarder at best.

> Also would like to add that other intranet tools seem to still be ok
> including
>
> - lynx
> - ftp [in and out]
> - ssh [in]
> - intra-box email
> - ping

These do not resolve the local hostname on the machine itself, which is what
mod_unique_id tries to do though.

> If it's really just apache that's having the trouble I wonder if it could
> be a race condition? I notice that apache starts from a shell cmd when fbsd
> reboots.
>
> Swami: ls -l /usr/local/etc/rc.d/*.sh
> -r-xr-xr--  1 root  pgsql  875 Nov 11 17:24
> /usr/local/etc/rc.d/010.pgsql.sh -rwxr-x--x  1 root  wheel  407 Nov 12
> 19:33 /usr/local/etc/rc.d/apache2.sh -rwxr-xr--  1 root  wheel  144 Nov 12
> 16:18 /usr/local/etc/rc.d/landns.root.sh Swami:
>
> What determines the sequence in which these three scripts run?

Exactly what you're typing: it's lexacilly sorted - to be exact: sorted
according to the glob(3) implementation.

If you need landns.root.sh to start first, rename it to:
010.landns.root.sh

Just in case you're wondering:
000.* is used for ldconfig(8)'s shared library paths, like 'lib/mysql' and
'lib/kde3' so you might wanna steer clear of that.

--
Melvyn

FreeBSD sarevok.webteckies.org 5.2-BETA FreeBSD 5.2-BETA #1: Sat Nov 29
00:15:33 CET 2003     root at sarevok.webteckies.org:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/
SAREVOK_NOFW_DBG  i386