MySQL question...

Melvyn Sopacua freebsd-questions at webteckies.org
Sun Nov 30 08:54:13 PST 2003

On Sunday 30 November 2003 17:36, Xpression wrote:

>         Hi all, I've finished installing MySQL on
> FreeBSD-4.5 RELEASE, now I've to add the users to control
> their databases, but I'm confused...

Right. Because this is not a FreeBSD issue but a MySQL issue. MySQL users have
nothing to do with the local users for the operating system.

You only need the 'mysql' user, which is created by the port, and read:
http://www.mysql.com/doc/en/Privileges.html

All databases will go under /var/db/mysql and the quick and dirty answer is:
mysql -e "GRANT ALL ON $dbname.* TO '$dbuser'@'localhost' IDENTIFIED BY
'$userpasswd'"

--
Melvyn

FreeBSD sarevok.webteckies.org 5.2-BETA FreeBSD 5.2-BETA #1: Sat Nov 29
00:15:33 CET 2003     root at sarevok.webteckies.org:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/
SAREVOK_NOFW_DBG  i386