swap space on multiple drives

Alex de Kruijff freebsd at akruijff.dds.nl
Sat Nov 29 17:26:31 PST 2003

On Sat, Nov 29, 2003 at 02:15:38PM -0600, Charles Howse wrote:
> Hi,
> After reading the following section of the Handbook, I'm still a little
> confused.
>
> http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/
> configtuning-initial.html#SWAP-DESIGN
>
> If I have 128MB ram, and 2 drives on seperate controllers, would I create swap
> partitions of 256MB on each drive?

No 256+256=512 so you would put half on each.

> What if I have 1GB ram?  It won't be swapping much anyway.  Surely 2 swap
> partitions of 2GB each won't hurt, but is that overkill?

It not a rule more of a guide line. You can safly put less on it if you
don't swap much. Dont go to low. You don't want to a situation where
100% is a posiblity. This could panic your system.

--
Alex

Articles based on solutions that I use:
http://www.kruijff.org/alex/index.php?dir=docs/FreeBSD/