dhclient.conf or DHCP

K Anderson freebsduser at comcast.net
Fri Nov 28 22:06:12 PST 2003

Hey folks,

I have my freebsd DHCP server set up and working great. Well great for
Windows clients, but not much so for BSD clients.

Under the Windows clients I just set the host name and when the DHCP
gets a request it dutifully does the job of assigning an IP address as
well as putting in the proper DNS entries. I have tried the same for
another BSD computer and it gets the IP address just fine but the
request doesn't get passed on to DNS for updating.

I tried the dhclient.conf being blank and then also tried putting in
entries as suggested by man 5 dhclient.

Any ideas on getting BSD to have the same behavior as Windows?

This is what I have for dhcpd.conf

option domain-name "squeaks.net";
option domain-name-servers msmouse.squeaks.net,204.127.198.4;
server-name "msmouse";
server-identifier 192.168.100.250;
key rndc-key {
  algorithm hmac-md5;
  secret "wouldn't you like to know";
};

zone squeaks.net. {
  primary 192.168.100.250;
  key rndc-key;
}

zone 100.168.192.in-addr.arpa. {
  primary 192.168.100.250;
  key rndc-key;
}

default-lease-time 600;
max-lease-time 7200;

# If this DHCP server is the official DHCP server for the local
# network, the authoritative directive should be uncommented.
authoritative;

# ad-hoc DNS update scheme - set to "none" to disable dynamic DNS updates.
ddns-update-style interim;

# Use this to send dhcp log messages to a different log file (you also
# have to hack syslog.conf to complete the redirection).
log-facility local7;

# No service will be given on this subnet, but declaring it helps the
# DHCP server to understand the network topology.

# This is a very basic subnet declaration.

subnet 192.168.100.0 netmask 255.255.255.0 {
   range 192.168.100.1 192.168.100.99;
   next-server 192.168.100.250;
   option routers 192.168.100.105;
   use-host-decl-names on;
}

dhclient.conf is...
interface "ed0" {
            send host-name "pixie.squeaks.net";
            request subnet-mask, broadcast-address, time-offset, routers,
                 domain-name, domain-name-servers, host-name;
            script "/sbin/dhclient-script";
            require subnet-mask, domain-name-servers;
}