unneeded modules

Dan Nelson dnelson at allantgroup.com
Fri Nov 28 11:05:37 PST 2003

In the last episode (Nov 28), Florin Betivoiu said:
> I would like to know if there is any way to not compile in the kernel
> drivers I don't need. For example kldstat -v shows that lots of
> miibus modules are loaded when i just need pnaphy, or lots of agp
> modules when I just need intel. Please excuse my poor english, as I
> am not a native speaker. Thanks in advance for any suggestions,
> pointers.

In your kernel config file, you can use MODULES_OVERRIDE to build only
the modules you need.  Modules are defined in the /sys/modules
directory, though, and it looks like there is a single "mii" module
that includes support for all chipsets.  Same for the agp device, so
you have to build all of them or none.  The sound driver is a bit more
modular, and you can choose to build only the driver for a single
chipset.  See /sys/confi/NOTES for a description of the syntax for
MODULES_OVERRIDE.

--
	Dan Nelson
	dnelson at allantgroup.com