Multiple CPU Performance

JacobRhoden jrhoden at unimelb.edu.au
Thu Nov 27 15:10:05 PST 2003

> Gerard Samuel wrote:
> > I was fortunate to acquire a dual Slot one motherboard.
> > I currently only have one PIII 450 in there, and its working without any
> > problems so far.
> > This box is primarily for www/samba/cvs.
> > I was wondering if my PHP apps would benefit (run faster) if I
> > introduced a 2nd CPU.

I am no expert on this sort of thing, but I thought I should add one thing, in
case you havent thought of it... What is the load  on your cpu? It can be
found by doing a top.. if it never reaches 1.0 while running php apps, then
an extra cpu is not going to make much difference.  In general I have found
that the bottleneck in older computers tends to be the hard drive, not the
CPU.

Regards,
Jacob