netra t1

Matthew Seaman m.seaman at infracaninophile.co.uk
Thu Nov 27 01:57:25 PST 2003

On Wed, Nov 26, 2003 at 04:36:23PM -0500, Lowell Gilbert wrote:
> Guilherme Starvaggi <guisf at empresario.com.br> writes:
>
> > I would like to know if the computer - NETRA T1 150 from SUN -
> > support the FREEBSD system? I am thinking in buy this computer, but I
> > have no experience with servers like this, and either with the
> > FREEBSD. I have a little experience with the usual LINUX. Do you think
> > it is good to try this change?
>
> FreeBSD has only very rough support for that type of hardware at this
> time.  NetBSD has supported it for years, and is a similar operating
> system.

Err... sparc64 is now a tier 1 supported architecture in 5.x: see
http://www.freebsd.org/releases/5.1R/hardware-sparc64.html and
http://www.freebsd.org/platforms/sparc.html

Support is rather better than "rough", although there are apparently
some problems installing using the Sun console -- you should use a
serial console instead.  It's also the case that 5.x is not really
suitable for a production system yet: the releases are marked as "New
Technology" -- see
http://www.freebsd.org/releases/5.1R/early-adopter.html This also
makes 5.x rather less suitable for FreeBSD beginners.

The soon to be released version 5.2 (due early in December) should be
yet another leap in stability and performance.  That release might be
most appropriate for the OP if he's willing to wait for it.

	Cheers,

	Matthew

                                                      Savill Way