Best terminal type

Jez Hancock jez.hancock at munk.nu
Wed Nov 26 14:56:49 PST 2003

On Wed, Nov 26, 2003 at 04:45:32PM +0100, Martin Moeller wrote:
> Hello, everyone!
>
> I'm a little bit confused because of the enormous number of
> terminal types available. I'm mainly working on the console
> so cons25 is my default terminal type. Yesterday, I used
> putty/ssh to connect to my machine and used elinks on it.
> With astonishment I realised that elinks used different
> colours and looked very nice. So I wondered why it didn't
> show up like this when using my console. putty was using
> "linux" as terminal type, not cons25. Happily, I set "linux"
> my preferred terminal, but now mutt's display is totally
> screwed up. So guys: What terminal type to use when working
> on the console? I want all the nifty eye-candy! ;-)
On a console my TERM env variable is set to cons25 as well, but mutt
still uses colours ok as I have them set up in my .muttrc file.

elinks doesn't use any colour the way I have things setup when I use it
in a console, although in a putty session it does (using TERM=xterm) -
not sure how to resolve that.

--
Jez Hancock
 - System Administrator / PHP Developer