newbie install question

Bob Collins bobc at anything-inc.com
Wed Nov 26 11:49:46 PST 2003

On Wed, Nov 26, 2003, Marty Landman wrote:
> At 12:15 PM 11/26/2003, Bob Collins wrote:
>
> >Have you resolved the truncated downloads? I would make sure that is not
> >an issue prior to installing from the gz. You sure don't want the further
> >aggravation of some file broken while installing.
>
> What can/should I do other than make dist-clean prior to the rest? Guess I
> didn't think about the issue being on my end. But of course it's possible,
> not sure how to check it though. Hmm, maybe I should try another port,
> something small perhaps and see if it has problems as well. I did several
> installs from the ports no problem e.g. Apache, PostgreSql and then things
> got a little chaotic. Samba afaik installed fine but my configuration
> attempts quickly became fubar'd. I will get back to that eventually, using
> ssh and ftp from my workstation is just fine for now. And my X11 install
> didn't complete cuz I ran out of space on my /usr partition so I cleared
> all that out.
>
> Other than that haven't had any problems... and have been up and running
> for 2 1/2 weeks now. :)
>

> Marty Landman   Face 2 Interface Inc 845-679-9387
> Sign On Required: Web membership software for your site
> Make a Website: http://face2interface.com/Home/Demo.shtml

Make distclean is a good start. I found on my Bellsouth DSL at home, I
often have intermittent troubles installing from ports with the DSL
router being (seeming) flaky during the day. I have found, empirically,
during the later evening hours (9:00 or later) the same installs proceed
flawlessly.

Installing Apache and PostgreSQL are fairly large and would have shown
troubles if your were also having intermittent connectivity like I was.
Is there a chance that the limited space on /usr is the trouble with the
install process now?

One thing you could do, is try a simple ftp download to your
/usr/ports/distfiles directory to then run the install. It is a bit of a
stop gap measure, but at least get you running as you want.

--
Bob