backup drive bootabel

Noah admin2 at enabled.com
Wed Nov 26 06:39:44 PST 2003

On Thu, 13 Nov 2003 10:05:04 +0000, Matthew Seaman wrote
> On Wed, Nov 12, 2003 at 02:32:20PM -0800, Noah wrote:
> >
> > > i) Make the 2nd disk an identical copy to the 1st one.  In this case
> > > should the 1st drive go AWOL, you would have to open the case and
> > > either remove the first drive or modify the jumpering on the disks to
> > > swap their order on the bus.  You will need to mark the FreeBSD slice
> > > bootable in the disk partition label by running:
> > >
> > >     # boot0cfg -B -b /boot/mbr -s 1 da1
> >

> > okay this is the command I was Looking for but I am arriving at an error:
> >
> > # boot0cfg -B -b /boot/mbr -s 1 da1
> > boot0cfg: /boot/mbr: unknown or incompatible boot code
> >
> > I think the partitions are about the same so I am not clear why this is
happening.

> Hmmm... What FreeBSD version are you using?  I had assumed 4.x,
> because that's what I'm using.  It may well be the case that the
> sample mbr has been moved somewhere else in the filesystem.
>
> Checking the fdisk(8) and boot0cfg(8) man pages for clues doesn't
> confirm that though.

Hi there,

I am using FreeBSD 4.8 Stable

# boot0cfg -B -b /boot/mbr -s 1 da1
boot0cfg: /boot/mbr: unknown or incompatible boot code
# ls -l /boot/mbr
-r--r--r--  1 root  wheel  512 Aug 24 14:26 /boot/mbr

so I am not clear what the issue is here?

the disk is a little bit of  a different size with different partition sizes.
 woudl that Make a difference.  what esle can I check here?

- Noah