VPN(touch-ID)/gif0/Dynamic Routing Issue

Amin Abdul amin_abdul at hotmail.com
Tue Nov 25 14:09:11 PST 2003

Hello,

I have few questions regarding the Dynamic Rouitng (i.e. routed)  and gif0
interface.

I go through the following documents:
http://www.freebsd.org/handbook/ipsec.html
http://asherah.dyndns.org/~josh/ipsec-howto.txt
and follow the following steps:

1. Configure the gif0 interface using the
www.freebsd.org/handbook/ipsec.html  diagram as reference, it  work fine
(tested by ping)

2. Configure IPSec in Transport mode (since I am interested in  forwarding
dynamic  routing information over point-2-point VPN)  using
draft-touch-ipsec- vpn approach,  i.e: IPSec policy
spdadd A.B.C.D W.X.Y.Z any -P out ipsec esp/transport//use;
spdadd W.X.Y.Z A.B.C.D any -P in ipsec esp/transport//use;
It works fine (ping test).

3. Now I start "routed" with "-s" options, It never saw any  routing
information  flow through the VPN (tcpdump).

4. So, I disabled the IPSec and try again but I still saw no  routing
information  over VPN (tcpdump).

5. So, I disabled the gif0 interface as well, I saw the RIP  packets
exchanges  between two freeBSD machine.

2. VPN works fine without routed.

Question:
Now my questions are
1. There is any in-compatibility (or known bug) between  routed and  gif0
interface (I am using freeBSD 4.8 Release).

2. Is there any freeBSD document which describe how to  configure gif0  and
routed together.

Thanks,
Amin