First time 5.1 install

Kevin D. Kinsey, DaleCo, S.P. kdk at daleco.biz
Tue Nov 25 12:00:03 PST 2003

Trey Sizemore wrote:

>Doing a first time install of 5.1.  The ports packages look comprehensive
>and very up-to-date.  I'm coming from the linux world, having used it
>exclusively for the past year.  I have the manual and will certainly read
>it before perfoming the install to hopefully make the process easier.
>
>I found the following in a FreeBSD article post and wanted any comments
>from users who had done a number of installs as to the logic/soundness of
>following the steps outlined below:
>
>Install a minimal base system and the ports collection.
>
>Install and configure cvsup and portupgrade.
>
>Update your source tree and ports tree.
>
>Make buildworld, kernel, installworld. Run portupgrade -a.
>
>Reboot your nice, clean, up-to-date system and start installing apps you
>want to use.
>
>Does this make sense?  Any additional steps and is the ordering of the
>steps sound?
>
>Thanks for your feedback.

If I'd been smart, I'd have done something close to what you're
suggesting the first time, over 2 years ago.  However, I've learned
plenty by trial/error doing thing in a more complex way.

I'm almost to where your writer is.  My most recent
new box (my first for desktop use) was, IIRC:

Install /bin via sysinstall (floppy/FTP ).  Abort the
remaining installation.

Install  cvsup-no-gui as a *package* via sysinstall.

CVSUP src for 5.1 --- make buildworld, buildkernel, installkernel
reboot, make installworld.

CVSUP ports, and go from there...

I'm not exactly sure I planned to do it this way, but it's
worked quite well, and I felt I made good progress despite
the fact I was on a dialup link....

Kevin Kinsey
DaleCo, S.P.