KDE and US International keyboard

Nathan Kinkade nkinkade at ub.edu.bz
Tue Nov 25 07:31:32 PST 2003

On Tue, Nov 25, 2003 at 02:13:45AM -0800, Kent Stewart wrote:

> > > <snip>
> > >
> > > You have never apparently tried to type ü, ñ, á and all of the other
> > > special characters that English keyboards don't produce easily.
> >
> > Yes, the funny thing is that the French accents work fine in many apps
> > (KMail and others) but OpenOffice 1.0.1 stumbles even on the sequence
> > <single quote> <space>, which supposedly should insert a single quote.
> >
> > Any luck anyone?  I tried OO 1.1 to see if it solves the problem
> > but no luck yet with this one either (it was some weeks ago so I don't
> > remember exactly what it was...) Did anyone succeed ? (binary answer
> > welcome :-) )
> >

> I use the es-Spanish keyboard layout. I went to the MS site that I told you
> about. The English Intl. is complicated. When I toggle from US to es, the
> dead keys all come into play. The ' becomes a dead key so that the sequence
> 'e produces é and so on. The ; becomes the ñÑ and etc. I use that layout in
> Kword and in any Spanish words I use in email. I have never used OO. In the
> US Intl, the apostrophe, grave, the carrot, and double quotes are all dead
> keys. The rest you have to use the <alt-gr> key. The shift is also active on
> the <altp-gr>. I use the default qwerty US keyboard and toggle to es-Spanish
> and I get the Spanish characters when I type into anything except kde's
> konsole.
>
> If you can't see them, let me know. I can grab the popups tomorrow and save
> them on my web site. There is probably a copyright issue so I won't pass the
> URL on here. It isn't a 100% because the international layouts use the funny
> enter key and the shift keys are smaller. I don't know where to find those
> characters. I haven't mapped them.
>
> Kent

In order to produce the various diacritic marks, I have just been using
xmodmap(1).  I have come to see that it is probably not as complete
or flexible as using dead-keys, but I certainly find it useful and less
obtrusive for the infrequent cases when I need to type such
characters.  I put this line in my .xinitrc file:

xmodmap ~/.xmodmaprc

Then my .xmodmaprc file looks like:

clear mod4
keycode 115 = Mode_switch
keycode 10 = 1 exclam exclamdown
keycode 26 = e E eacute Eacute
keycode 31 = i I iacute Iacute
keycode 32 = o O oacute Oacute
keycode 38 = a A aacute Aacute
keycode 57 = n N ntilde Ntilde
keycode 61 = slash question questiondown

This gives me the basic diacritic marks and punctuation to write in
Spanish.  Keycode 115 is the Super_L key - or "Windows" key.  I never
use those keys and I suppose I could also put something behind the
Super_R key as well.  The basic layout of the .xmodmaprc is that the
first character is when the keycode is pressed by itself, the next is
with the keycode + Shift, the next is the keycode + Mode_switch, and the
final is the keycode + Mode_switch + Shift.  So, to get a ``Ñ'' I press
Shift-Super_L-n.

Just another idea...

Nathan
--
gpg --keyserver pgp.mit.edu --recv-keys D8527E49