Static IP and fully qualified domain names

Roman Neuhauser neuhauser at bellavista.cz
Tue Nov 25 04:54:29 PST 2003

# root at pukruppa.de / 2003-11-21 16:35:59 +0100:
> Hi!
>
> This question is inspired by a recent mail on this list.
>
> My ISP was so nice to give me a domain name (pukruppa.net) and
> assign it statically to an IP (213.146.114.24).
> [So now everybody in the world can telnet pukruppa.net and crack
> my private machine :-)  ]
>
> >From reading manuals one should think, that now I could give my
> machines names like one.pukruppa.net, two.pukruppa.net, etc...
> and all these would be reachable via internet - but they aren't.
> The only one that can be accessed is pukruppa.net .
>
> How comes this?

    maybe this will help:

    How does DNS work?
    http://cr.yp.to/djbdns/intro-dns.html

    The Big Picture
    http://www.lifewithdjbdns.org/#The%20Big%20Picture

    Case study: a firewalled office network
    http://cr.yp.to/djbdns/sample-office.html

    The importance of separating DNS caches from DNS servers
    http://cr.yp.to/djbdns/separation.html

    "content" and "proxy" DNS servers
    http://homepages.tesco.net/~J.deBoynePollard/FGA/dns-server-roles.html

    "primary" and "secondary" DNS servers