Novice needs advice building new kernel: UPG 4.7-RELEASE ---> 4.9-RELEASE

Mark Weinem mark.weinem at uni-duisburg.de
Tue Nov 25 03:25:54 PST 2003

Hi Jeff!

On Sun, 23 Nov 2003, Jeff Bogari wrote:

> It's time to upgrade to 4.9-RELEASE.
> Here's what I've got so far:
>
> 1.  Set the options in sysinstall to retrieve 4.9-RELEASE instead of
>     4.7-RELEASE
> 2.  Used sysinstall to download the 4.9-RELEASE data via FTP

Did you really perform the binary upgrade procedure as described
here:

	/stand/sysinstall -> Doc -> Install -> "3 Upgrading FreeBSD",

	http://www.defcon1.org/binaryhowto2.html or

	http://www.bsdnewsletter.com/2002/08/Features33.html

> Must I set kern_security level < 0 before I begin?

No. Maybe a problem with your upgrade or your dated hardware

> Or should I lean on the "second" process to make it work?

What are the "first" and the "second"?

Greetings, Mark Weinem