About setup and established Questions and log tracking Program

Vahric MUHTARYAN vahric at doruk.net.tr
Tue Nov 25 02:25:54 PST 2003

Hi Everybody ,

I'm newly using ipfw ... I have some quesitions about ipfw configuration
..

I'm maked changes on defult configuration in rc.firewall for simple type
but I don't understand something ...

	  # Allow TCP through if setup succeeded
        ${fwcmd} add pass tcp from any to any established

        # Allow setup of incoming email
        ${fwcmd} add pass tcp from any to ${ip} 25 setup

I checked man page of ipfw ; setup matches packets have SYN bit or not
Upper rule is accepting setuped connections that ok ( please correct if
I wrong )

	Question is Why I need to set setup options on secound rule ...
I mean I must to open 25 ( smtp port ) to all What is the setup option
role ...

Vahric