usb digital camera

Cordula's Web cpghost at cordula.ws
Mon Nov 24 15:39:38 PST 2003

> > Is there some trick to using USB devices? I'm trying to access my Nikon
> > coolpix 5000 (latest firmware PTP mode) from 4.9-STABLE with no luck.
> >
> > usbdevs sees the camera, as does "gphoto2 --auto-detect". However, I'm
> > unable to access the camera data with "gphoto2 --auto-detect --summary"
>
> This is really a question for the gphoto2 mailing list, but perhaps you'd
> get better help if you posted (or looked at) your `gphoto2 --auto-detect --summary --debug`
> output.
>
> I successfully use gphoto2-2.1.2 and libgphoto2-2.1.2_2 from gtkam-0.1.10
> with my Kodak DC3400 digital camera. Works great!

Maybe your camera is accessible via the umass(4) driver?
In this case, you won't need gphoto2 or libgphoto2, but
would need to mount the camera just like a SCSI da(4) device.
BTW, the list of supported devices in umass' man page is
incomplete. Many more devices are currently supported as well.

Just plug the camera in, turn it on, and watch the console closely.
If a message from umass driver appears, and it tells something about
a daX device being created, try mounting this device manually:

# mount -t msdos /dev/da0s1 /mnt

Then you can access the files on the camera at /mnt, just like
files on any other filesystem.

Don't forget to umount /mnt before turning the device off :)

Good luck!

--
Cordula's Web. http://www.cordula.ws/