wireless networking

Bruce Mackay brucem128 at comcast.net
Mon Nov 24 03:26:23 PST 2003

On Mon, 24 Nov 2003 01:51:39 -0500
William O'Higgins <william.ohiggins at utoronto.ca> wrote:

> After much effort I found a wireless PCMCIA card that is supported by
> FreeBSD.  Now I have to get connected to a wireless network, and I need
> some help.
>
> I have read man wi, and the Handbook, but I'm still missing something.
>
> When I stick in the card in it is recognized and here is the output of
> ifconfig:

<snip>
> I enter the following to connect with the unencrypted network with the
> SSID "kieran", which is not broadcasting its SSID:
>
> sudo ifconfig wi0 ssid kieran
>
> I still cannot ping either by ip or dns.  Here is the output of
> ifconfig:

<snip>
> As near as I can tell, I don't know enough about networking FreeBSD, and
> it is that ignorance that is the problem.  Any suggestions?
>
> I am including the output of dmesg, in case that's useful.
> --
>
> yours,
>
> William

	I'm no networking guru but I had similar issues trying to get my network up and running.  I ran "route add default 192.168.1.1" at the command prompt which started to let me ping my router.  I guess in your case you probably need 192.168.100.1.  You may have already done this though.

	Another thing I found that was to ping names (yahoo.com) I had to set my /etc/resolv.conf with
search <your domain>
nameserver <put in your ips dns address>

	I don't know if this will be of any help to you but maybe...

Bruce