make vs. pkg_add

Eric F Crist ecrist at adtechintegrated.com
Sun Nov 23 21:38:15 PST 2003

On Saturday 22 November 2003 10:00 pm, Patrick Burnett wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Not that I expect to be swayed one way or the other here, but...
>
> I'm curious to see what other users think of using either the 'make'
> commands or 'pkg_add' for compiling and installing software.  I'm
> admittedly a bit of a newbie, and I've tried it both ways, after
> CVSup-ing the source and ports of course.  In most cases 'pkg_add' seems
> to work better, but the problem solver in me wants to see 'make all
> install clean' and its brethren work at least once.  Am I to understand
> that 'make' and its accompanying command options will download source,
> dependencies, needed libs, et al. while compiling, building, and
> installing just like 'pkg_add' does?  I'm probably doing something wrong
> such that 'make' isn't playing nice, but I'd still appreciate some
> further insight from more experienced users.
>
> TIA,
> Pat

Pat,

I've always been one to use the make install method.  It's always worked for
me, including downloading most sources and dependencies.  Sometimes, after
upgrading from 4.9 to 5.0, for example, I had to install certain things
manually, from ports, such as GTK+ and gettext.

HTH

--
Eric F Crist
President