Modem

Jud judmarc at fastmail.fm
Sun Nov 23 19:11:07 PST 2003

On Sun, 23 Nov 2003 13:01:19 -0500, Jesse Guardiani <jesse at wingnet.net>
wrote:

> fbsd_user wrote:
>
>> Read the FBSD handbook.
>> http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/userppp.ht
>
> Also, you might want to try kppp from the KDE project. It's a graphical
> front end to Kernal PPP (pppd), and I find that it's much easier to use
> than the CLI when I need to connect in a hurry on my laptop.
>
> I think it's probably a good idea to get user ppp (FreeBSD Handbook)
> working before switching to kppp though. That way you'll be able to
> debug easier.

The best tutorial I've seen on this remains <URL:
http://www.onlamp.com/pub/a/bsd/2000/06/14/FreeBSD_Basics.html>.  3 years
ago as a newbie it was far easier for me to understand than the Handbook.
One thing has changed in those 3 years: The user wanting to access the Net
must be a member of the 'dialer' group.

HTH,

Jud