Postfix/procmail/fetchmail/spamassassin setup

Jonas Manalive manalive at gmx.net
Sun Nov 23 13:55:04 PST 2003

Hello,

I am having terrible time trying to figure out why I can't get any
emails. I used to be able to receive them before, but since reinstalling
FreeBSD (new harddrive), I am not able to get any emails again. I am
using FreeBSD 5.1 - standalone computer with me as the sole user. With
postfix, I want to use fetchmail to fetch mails and procmail to deliver
them and spamassassin to examine them. I want the procmail/postfix to
send them to /var/mail/manalive. Here are the configurations
(username/password changed of course :) ) and let me know where I am
doing wrong. There is no procmail.log file. I have stopped, started, and
reloaded the postfix after configuring. Any other configurations you
need to see, please let me know!

Thanks!

Jonas

------------------------------
.fetchmailrc
-----
set logfile /home/manalive/Logs/fetchmail.log
set postmaster manalive
set no bouncemail

# Poll at 15 minute intervals
set daemon 900

poll pop.mail.com
        proto POP3
        user "manalive at mail.com"
        pass "password"
        is manalive here
        fetchall
        no keep
poll pop.mail.com
        proto POP3
        user "second at mail.com"
        pass "password"
        is manalive here
        no fetchall
        keep

------------------------------
.forward
-----
"|IFS=' ' && p=/usr/local/bin/procmail && test -f $p && exec $p -Yf- ||
exit 75 manalive"

-------------------------------
.procmailrc
----
SHELL=/bin/sh
PATH=/bin:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/local/sbin:/sbin:/usr/games
DEFAULT=/var/mail/manalive
LOGFILE=/home/manalive/Logs/procmail.log
VERBOSE=YES

:0fw: spamassassin.lock
* < 1000000
| spamassassin

-----------------------------------
fetchmail.log
----------
fetchmail: starting fetchmail 6.2.5 daemon
fetchmail: 6.2.5 querying pop.mail.com (protocol POP3) at Sun Nov 23
13:12:33 2003: poll started
fetchmail: POP3< +OK MAIL POP3 StreamProxy ready
<12580.1069621952 at mp010>
fetchmail: POP3> CAPA
fetchmail: POP3< -ERR Unknown command.
fetchmail: Unknown command.
fetchmail: Repoll immediately on manalive at mail.com@pop.mail.com
fetchmail: POP3< +OK GMX POP3 StreamProxy ready <18555.1069621953 at mp021>
fetchmail: POP3> USER manalive at mail.com
fetchmail: POP3< +OK May I have your password, please?
fetchmail: POP3> PASS *
fetchmail: POP3< +OK mailbox has 326 messages (1419792 octets)
fetchmail: POP3> STAT
fetchmail: POP3< +OK 326 1419792
fetchmail: 326 messages for manalive at mail.com at pop.mail.com (1419792
octets).
fetchmail: POP3> LIST 1
fetchmail: POP3< +OK 1 4551
fetchmail: POP3> RETR 1
fetchmail: POP3< +OK message follows
fetchmail: reading message manalive at mail.com@pop.mail.com:1 of 326 (4551
octets)
fetchmail: smtp listener protocol error
fetchmail: terminated with signal 15
fetchmail: starting fetchmail 6.2.5 daemon
fetchmail: 326 messages for manalive at mail.com at pop.mail.com (1419792
octets).
fetchmail: reading message manalive at mail.com@pop.mail.com:1 of 326 (4551
octets) fetchmail: SMTP connect to localhost failed
fetchmail: SMTP transaction error while fetching from pop.mail.com
fetchmail: Query status=10 (SMTP)
fetchmail: 1 message for second at mail.com at pop.mail.com (26611 octets).
fetchmail: reading message second at mail.com@pop.mail.com:1 of 1 (26611
octets) fetchmail: SMTP connect to localhost failed
fetchmail: SMTP transaction error while fetching from pop.mail.com

---------------------------------------
main.cf for postfix (with #lines removed)
----------------
soft_bounce = no
queue_directory = /var/spool/postfix
command_directory = /usr/local/sbin
daemon_directory = /usr/local/libexec/postfix
mail_owner = postfix
myhostname = ancient.mariner.sea
myorigin = $mydomain
inet_interfaces = all
mydestination = $myhostname, localhost.$mydomain
unknown_local_recipient_reject_code = 450
alias_maps = dbm:/etc/aliases
home_mailbox = Mailbox
mail_spool_directory = /var/mail
mailbox_command = /usr/local/bin/procmail
debug_peer_level = 2
sendmail_path = /usr/local/sbin/sendmail
newaliases_path = /usr/local/bin/newaliases
mailq_path = /usr/local/bin/mailq
setgid_group = maildrop
manpage_directory = /usr/local/man
sample_directory = /usr/local/etc/postfix
readme_directory = no

rc.conf
----------------
hostname="ancient.mariner.sea"