Static IP and fully qualified domain names

Matthew Seaman m.seaman at infracaninophile.co.uk
Fri Nov 21 09:26:03 PST 2003

On Fri, Nov 21, 2003 at 10:54:21AM -0500, Marty Landman wrote:
> At 10:42 AM 11/21/2003, Cordula's Web wrote:
> >>
> >> From reading manuals one should think, that now I could give my
> >> machines names like one.pukruppa.net, two.pukruppa.net, etc...
> >> and all these would be reachable via internet - but they aren't.
> >> The only one that can be accessed is pukruppa.net .
> >
> >You need to add A records (or CNAME records) to your DNS
> >zone pukruppa.net:
>
> I'm a newbie faced with a similar (I think) problem; only in my case I'd
> like to do the required DNS mapping on my intranet. Have no clue so plz be
> gentle?

On an intranet setting this sort of stuff up in the DNS is easy.
Unless you have a particularly large and complicated setup, you don't
need to bother with DNS delegation; neither do you need to worry about
CIDR and other things that complicate life.

Lets assume that the domain you're using in your intranet is
'example.com' and you've chose to use the 192.168.0.0/24 subnet for
all of your IP numbering.

You need to set up a machine as DNS server for your intranet.  In the
named.conf file for that machine, configure it to be the authoritative
server for the example.com. and 0.168.192.in-addr.arpa. zones by
adding (inter alia):

    acl localmachines {
        127.0.0.1;
	192.168.0.0/24;
    };

    zone "example.com" in {
        type master;
        file "p/example.com";
        allow-query {
            localmachines;
        };
        allow-transfer {
            none;
        };
        notify no;
    };

    zone "0.168.192.in-addr.arpa" in {
        type master;
        file "p/0.168.192.in-addr.arpa";
        allow-query {
            localmachines;
        };
        allow-transfer {
            none;
        };
        notify no;
    };

where the zone data files might look something like this.

example.com:

    $TTL    3600

    @       IN      SOA     ns0.example.com.     hostmaster.example.com. (
                            2003112100      ; Serial
                            10800           ; Refresh (3H)
                            3600            ; Retry   (1H)
                            604800          ; Expire  (1W)
                            43200 )         ; Minimum (12H)
                    NS      ns0
                    MX      10 smtp
    ;
    localhost       A       127.0.0.1
                    MX      10 smtp
    ;
    net             A       192.168.0.0
                    MX      10 smtp
    ;
    ns0             A       192.168.0.1
                    MX      10 smtp
    ;
    smtp            A       192.168.0.2
                    MX      10 smtp
    ;
    foo             A       192.168.0.3
                    MX      10 smtp
    www-intra       CNAME   foo
    ;
    ;[...other data...]
    ;
    broadcast       A       192.168.0.255
                    MX      10 smtp
    ;
    ; That's All Folks!
    ;

0.168.192.in-addr.arpa:

    $TTL    3600

    @       IN      SOA     ns0.example.com.     hostmaster.example.com. (
                            2003112100      ; Serial
                            10800           ; Refresh (3H)
                            3600            ; Retry   (1H)
                            604800          ; Expire  (1W)
                            43200 )         ; Minimum (12H)
                    NS      ns0.example.com.
    ;
    0               PTR     net.example.com.
    1               PTR     ns0.example.com.
    2               PTR     smtp.example.com.
    3               PTR     foo.example.com.
    ;[...]
    255             PTR     broadcast.example.com.
    ;
    ; That's All Folks!
    ;

Simple eh?  Actually, if all this is pretty much gibberish to you, I
recommend getting hold of the Cricket book: "DNS and BIND", 4th Ed,
P. Albitz and C. Liu, O'Reilly and associates, Sebastopol, CA. ISBN
0-596-00158-4 which will explain things with extreme lucidity.

	Cheers,

	Matthew

                                                      Savill Way