DVD Burning -- Got it Working!!

Chris Meyers chris at hddesign.com
Fri Nov 21 08:32:36 PST 2003

On Thu, 2003-11-20 at 15:30, Charles Swiger wrote:
> On Nov 20, 2003, at 3:52 PM, Chris Meyers wrote:
> > On Thu, 2003-11-20 at 14:35, Charles Swiger wrote:
> >> Double-check what's going on with your devices, what does "camcontrol
> >> devlist" give you?  Maybe try using "/dev/cd0c" rather than
> >> "/dev/acd0c"?
> >
> > Here's what camcontrol had to say:
> > # camcontrol devlist -v
> > scbus-1 on xpt0 bus 0:
> > <  >                               at scbus-1 target -1 lun -1 (xpt0)
> >
> > I'm guessing there should be something there between the < >.
>
> More than that, you should see an entry like:
>
> <NEC CD-ROM DRIVE:465 1.03>        at scbus0 target 5 lun 0 (pass2,cd0)
>
> ...mentioning the CD/DVD device; the entry for xpt0 is simply the
> driver interface itself, not a reference to a particular device.
>
> > I don't have a cd0 entry in /dev so trying growisofs with it give this:
> > :-( unable to open("/dev/cd0c",O_RDONLY): No such file or directory
> > Also dmesg show this line:
> > acd0: DVD-R <Memorex DVD+/-RW Dual-X1> at ata1-master PIO4
> > which pretty much shows that the drive is being recognized and put at
> > acd0
>
> Right, but the acd device ['man 4 acd'] and the cd device ['man 4 cd']
> are not the same-- that's what the CAM subsystem is for, to provide
> passthrough emulation for ATAPI devices so that you can send SCSI
> commands to them.  The "burncd" program works with ATAPI devices
> directly; the programs with dvd+rw-tools need CAM.
>
> Hmm, also you should be configuring your device to enable UltraDMA
> modes rather than PIO; try a "sysctl hw.ata.atapi_dma=1", or equivalent
> in /etc/sysctl.conf or /boot/loader.conf.

Ok I finally got it working. I did need to recompile my kernel and add:

device atapicam

Once I did that I ran:

growisofs -Z /dev/acd0c -R -J bkuptest

and I got an ioctl error. I then tried:

growisofs -Z /dev/cd0c -R -J bkuptest

and everything worked as it was supposed to. Thanks to Charles and
everyone else who pitched in their 2 cents.

Chris