FreeBSD, FHS, and /mnt/cdrom

Frank Murphy murphyf+fhs at f-m.fm
Fri Nov 21 06:41:19 PST 2003

The folks at the Filesystem Hierarchy Standard (FHS) are discussing
(again) where directories for recurring temporary mount points should go.
Recurring temporary mount points are for things like cdroms, floppies,
and digital cameras as well as HD partitions from other OSes (like MS
Windows).

Red Hat started putting these in /mnt (e.g. /mnt/cdrom), but that totally
breaks compatibility with the BSDs, which have specified /mnt as an empty
directory for ad hoc temporary mounts. SuSE has started putting these in
/media, and now folks on the FHS list would like to know what people in
the BSDs' communities would prefer.

I imagine your answer will be something like "We don't care; do what you
want," but I would like to present the different ideas, and perhaps you
would prefer one.

So, please put these in the order of most to least preferred, and say why
you like or dislike any of them.

- All mount points in / (e.g. /cdrom, /camera, /windows/C)  <- current
FreeBSD standard
- All mount points in /mnt (e.g. /mnt/cdrom, /mnt/camera, /mnt/windows/C)
<- breaks
      FreeBSD standard for an empty /mnt
- Anyplace at all
- Anyplace but /mnt (i.e. what the FHS 2.2 currently specifies)
- Anyplace but / or /mnt (e.g. /vol/cdrom, /var/mnt/camera,
/media/windows/C)
      (some suggestions have been /media, /mounts, /vol, /var/mnt,
      and /var/tmp/removable. Others?)

Thanks letting us know how you feel about this,

Frank Murphy

--
http://www.fastmail.fm - And now for something completely different